Current Status of Pegasus
Dor
2017-04-29 17:29:30 UTC
Is Pegasus still in develpment?
Euler German
2017-04-29 17:52:57 UTC
Post by Dor
Is Pegasus still in develpment?
Yes! Here's author last statement:

http://www.pmail.com/devnews.htm
--
Kind regards,
Euler German

Please, reply preferably to the list.
Post by Dor
Is Pegasus still in develpment?
Probably. The author David Harris is still talking about new
developments and refinements, but no ETA has been mentioned. I expect
it will happen eventually, but if there's anything in particular that
is is bugging you... don't hold your breath until it's (possibly)
fixed.
Dor
2017-04-30 16:09:20 UTC
Post by Nil
Post by Dor
Is Pegasus still in develpment?
Probably. The author David Harris is still talking about new
developments and refinements, but no ETA has been mentioned. I expect it
will happen eventually, but if there's anything in particular that is is
bugging you... don't hold your breath until it's (possibly) fixed.
I was more curious than anticipating. I'm learning Linux (and all new
programs) but plan on keeping one Windows notebook current - just in
case. It's a shame that Pegasus didn't provide enough income for it to
be a full time job. As good as it is, imagine how much better it could
have been if it had a full time development team.
Ray_Net
If he had a full time development team, Pegasus will stop to be free.
Evertjan.
2017-04-30 23:15:11 UTC
Post by Ray_Net
If he had a full time development team, Pegasus will stop to be free.
... would ...

There are degrees of freedom.
--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
Dor
2017-04-30 23:38:11 UTC
Post by Ray_Net
If he had a full time development team, Pegasus will stop to be free.
So? I contributed by purchasing a manual. Have you? Not everything is
free; not everything should be free; not everything must be free.
AnthonyL
2017-05-01 12:24:09 UTC
Post by Dor
Post by Ray_Net
If he had a full time development team, Pegasus will stop to be free.
So? I contributed by purchasing a manual. Have you? Not everything is
free; not everything should be free; not everything must be free.
David Harris insists on it being free, insists on being sole developer
and insists on rigidly sticking to RFCs which hinder useability.

He has unfortunately underestimated the amount of effort required to
totally rewrite a feature rich product and with a world of mobile
phone apps and interconnectivity I fear he's going to be so far behind
by the time he does (if he ever does) finish that the result will be a
disappointment, though I hope I'm wrong.

I've used Pegasus for 25+ years, going back to Novell networking days
and it is still my main, but not only, email client. Reliable IMAP is
becoming more important for me and that leads to Thunderbird and apps
on Android.

His April statement on progress is at:

AnthonyL
Dor
2017-05-01 13:55:26 UTC
Post by AnthonyL
Post by Dor
Post by Ray_Net
If he had a full time development team, Pegasus will stop to be free.
So? I contributed by purchasing a manual. Have you? Not everything is
free; not everything should be free; not everything must be free.
David Harris insists on it being free, insists on being sole developer
and insists on rigidly sticking to RFCs which hinder useability.
Yet he asks for "contributions" and includes a mechanism within the
program itself for making contributions. There was also an attempt to
create a "club" of yearly contributors. These are voluntary payments so
Pegasus can be advertised as free. However, it is misleading to claim
that DH insists on it being free without mentioning the above 2 points.
Post by AnthonyL
He has unfortunately underestimated the amount of effort required to
totally rewrite a feature rich product and with a world of mobile phone
apps and interconnectivity I fear he's going to be so far behind by the
time he does (if he ever does) finish that the result will be a
disappointment, though I hope I'm wrong.
A new version of Pegasus won't be for new users. It will be for long term
Pegasus users who are accustomed to the way Pegasus works and prefer it to
the way any other email client works. Subtle differences in layout,
sorting, keystroke combinations and functionality are important to
people. Some users (like myself) who have moved on will also try out a
new version just to see what it's like. As you suggested, new users do
email on their phones; some (perhaps most) on web interfaces.
Post by AnthonyL
I've used Pegasus for 25+ years, going back to Novell networking days
and it is still my main, but not only, email client. Reliable IMAP is
becoming more important for me and that leads to Thunderbird and apps on
Android.
So even some experienced long term users may not go back to Pegasus.

Which brings me back to my original point: it is a shame that a program
as good as Pegasus wasn't kept current.
Eric Demeester
2017-05-01 12:40:42 UTC
Dor (Sun, 30 Apr 2017 23:38:11 GMT
So did I, 20 years ago :)
Ray_Net
2017-05-03 21:51:57 UTC
You are true.
Noah Sombrero
2018-04-09 14:45:29 UTC
Post by Ray_Net
says...
Post by Dor
Post by Nil
Post by Dor
Is Pegasus still in develpment?
Probably. The author David Harris is still talking about new
developments and refinements, but no ETA has been mentioned. I expect it
will happen eventually, but if there's anything in particular that is is
bugging you... don't hold your breath until it's (possibly) fixed.
I was more curious than anticipating. I'm learning Linux (and all new
programs) but plan on keeping one Windows notebook current - just in
case. It's a shame that Pegasus didn't provide enough income for it to
be a full time job. As good as it is, imagine how much better it could
have been if it had a full time development team.
If he had a full time development team, Pegasus will stop to be free.
Also stop being the child of David's imagination. Teams produce
things like Thunderbird.

Noah Sombrero
David Solimano
2018-04-11 03:18:17 UTC
Post by Noah Sombrero
Post by Ray_Net
says...
Post by Dor
Post by Nil
Post by Dor
Is Pegasus still in develpment?
Probably. The author David Harris is still talking about new
developments and refinements, but no ETA has been mentioned. I expect it
will happen eventually, but if there's anything in particular that is is
bugging you... don't hold your breath until it's (possibly) fixed.
I was more curious than anticipating. I'm learning Linux (and all new
programs) but plan on keeping one Windows notebook current - just in
case. It's a shame that Pegasus didn't provide enough income for it to
be a full time job. As good as it is, imagine how much better it could
have been if it had a full time development team.
If he had a full time development team, Pegasus will stop to be free.
Also stop being the child of David's imagination. Teams produce
things like Thunderbird.
Noah Sombrero
I will say, it's unfortunate there hasn't been a development update in
a year.
--
David Solimano
***@solimano.org
Dave Sergeant
2018-04-11 05:50:51 UTC
Post by David Solimano
I will say, it's unfortunate there hasn't been a development update in
a year.
And every time someone asks these sort of questions the usual answer is
that loads of development is going on and we should expect something
'soon'. PM v5 has been talked about for well over 5 years now, probably
back in the Windows XP days, it is that long. The current version
continues to work but is starting to look dated and usage must be
declining. It is not yet legacy but not far off.

Always hopeful...
AnthonyL
2018-04-11 11:43:56 UTC
Post by Dave Sergeant
Post by David Solimano
I will say, it's unfortunate there hasn't been a development update in
a year.
And every time someone asks these sort of questions the usual answer is
that loads of development is going on and we should expect something
'soon'. PM v5 has been talked about for well over 5 years now, probably
back in the Windows XP days, it is that long. The current version
continues to work but is starting to look dated and usage must be
declining. It is not yet legacy but not far off.
Always hopeful...
We (running a small software shop) were caught in a similar scenario.
Over 10 years or more we'd developed and modified a suite of software
written in Cobol and basically running a DOS (or a DOS window) and in
1997 with millenium issues arising (dd/mm/yy for all transactions and
future/past dates and date differences were needed) we set about
moving to a Windows platform. As 2000 approached it was clear we were
not going to be anywhere near finished so attention had to be switched
to tackling the date issue. The use of 365 byte strings to record the
state of the record didn't help, nor did the lack of consistent
library routines due to the way the system had evovled.

The result was a working legacy system and the delay cost us future
sales and in the end the software lingered to a slow demise.

Whist I have every sympathy with David Harris, who is not the best of
communicators at any time, I feel that Pegasus is going to have the
same ending as our software. Even if a new version comes out, well
it's going to require ongoing support and development - how long is DH
expected to be up to it?

Been a Pegasus user since Netware v2 and it is still just about the
best out there despite cludgy areas.
AnthonyL
Euler German
2018-04-11 15:22:40 UTC
Post by AnthonyL
Whist I have every sympathy with David Harris, who is not the best of
communicators at any time, I feel that Pegasus is going to have the
same ending as our software. Even if a new version comes out, well
it's going to require ongoing support and development - how long is DH
expected to be up to it?
I'm assuming DH may be asking himself if Pegasus Mail is worth the
effort of a major revamp. If you look at today's mail usage you may
think it doesn't. The average user looks for a mobile app instead of
a client so I think it is fair to assume DH is focusing on Mercury
development much more than on Pegasus'.

My tuppence.

Post by Dave Sergeant
Post by David Solimano
I will say, it's unfortunate there hasn't been a development update in
a year.
And every time someone asks these sort of questions the usual answer is
that loads of development is going on and we should expect something
'soon'. PM v5 has been talked about for well over 5 years now, probably
back in the Windows XP days, it is that long. The current version
continues to work but is starting to look dated and usage must be
declining. It is not yet legacy but not far off.
Does it matter what it "looks" like?

Making things "look" up to date usually means adding more bells and
whistles, not more pistons and cylinders.

I don't think Pegasus needs a major revamp, just a tweak here or
there.

The change I'd most like to see would be a better way of saving
messages.
--
Steve Hayes
http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm
http://khanya.wordpress.com
Noah Sombrero
2018-04-16 13:37:03 UTC
On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 04:08:36 +0200, Steve Hayes
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by Dave Sergeant
Post by David Solimano
I will say, it's unfortunate there hasn't been a development update in
a year.
And every time someone asks these sort of questions the usual answer is
that loads of development is going on and we should expect something
'soon'. PM v5 has been talked about for well over 5 years now, probably
back in the Windows XP days, it is that long. The current version
continues to work but is starting to look dated and usage must be
declining. It is not yet legacy but not far off.
Does it matter what it "looks" like?
In the minds of many people, yes it does. But we know that, of
course, it really does not matter. Would you drive a brand new BMW
that looked like a model T?
Post by Steve Hayes
Making things "look" up to date usually means adding more bells and
whistles, not more pistons and cylinders.
Yes, of course, that is mostly what updates are about. Usually there
will be a list of fixes for problems that you have never seen. And
the ones you do see remain.
Post by Steve Hayes
I don't think Pegasus needs a major revamp, just a tweak here or
there.
My list would be better automatic new message check for IMAP and a
message flag.
Post by Steve Hayes
The change I'd most like to see would be a better way of saving
messages.
You sound like a pop3 user. For pop3 users there are many reasonably
competent email client choices, including Peg. This version of Peg is
a lot better about interaction with an IMAP server than previous, but
still not quite there. Poor message check makes it unusable for me.

Noah Sombrero
Steve Hayes
2018-04-17 07:43:33 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
Does it matter what it "looks" like?
In the minds of many people, yes it does. But we know that, of
course, it really does not matter. Would you drive a brand new BMW
that looked like a model T?
I'd rather do that than drive an ancient Model T that looks like a
BMW, which is what many software developers expect us to do.
Post by Steve Hayes
The change I'd most like to see would be a better way of saving
messages.
You sound like a pop3 user. For pop3 users there are many reasonably
competent email client choices, including Peg. This version of Peg is
a lot better about interaction with an IMAP server than previous, but
still not quite there. Poor message check makes it unusable for me.
Aye, I am a POP3 user.
http://khanya.wordpress.com
Eric Demeester
2018-04-17 09:57:14 UTC
Hello,

Steve Hayes (Mon, 16 Apr 2018 04:08:36 +0200 -
Post by Steve Hayes
The change I'd most like to see would be a better way of saving
messages.
I'd realy like Pegasus to have a real, usable threads management based
on 'References: ' header fields.

Yes, I know, the 'References : ' field is optional in RFC 822, but most
of email (and webmail) clients use it, not Pegasus.