Lost HIERARCH.PM file
Steve Hayes
2019-07-09 12:04:36 UTC
Today I lost my HIERARCH.PM file.

I restored a backup, the the file is filled with scattered search
results from the COPYSELF file.

Can I delete those without also deleting the original files wherever
they are?

How can I remove old search results?
--
Steve Hayes
http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm
http://khanya.wordpress.com
Evertjan.
2019-07-09 12:24:47 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
Today I lost my HIERARCH.PM file.
I restored a backup, the the file is filled with scattered search
results from the COPYSELF file.
Can I delete those without also deleting the original files wherever
they are?
HIERARCH.PM
will be made anew when deleted [or renamed],
you will have to rebuild your subfolder tree.
Post by Steve Hayes
How can I remove old search results?
Check:

Preferences >
Folder behavours >
Default setting for search results folders is 'delete on exit'

and then exit PM.
--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
Steve Hayes
2019-07-11 11:26:38 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
How can I remove old search results?
Preferences >
Folder behavours >
and then exit PM.
Thanks, but the existing ones are still scattered throughout the file
-- can I delete them without delting the originals?
http://khanya.wordpress.com
Evertjan.
2019-07-11 21:54:25 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
How can I remove old search results?
Preferences >
Folder behavours >
and then exit PM.
Thanks, but the existing ones are still scattered throughout the file
-- can I delete them without delting the originals?
To be more specific:

SEARCH FOLDERS have nothing to do with HIERARCH.PM,
I presume. [Han, klopt dat?]

You can delete the resulting SEARCH FOLDERS
without deleting the found EMAILS.

But, as I said, normally [but not always]
the SEARCH FOLDERS are gone after a PM restart,
if you have this
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by Steve Hayes
setting checked.
--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
AnthonyL
2019-07-12 11:30:33 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
How can I remove old search results?
Preferences >
Folder behavours >
and then exit PM.
Thanks, but the existing ones are still scattered throughout the file
-- can I delete them without delting the originals?
If you take a copy of the HIERARCH.PM then you can try what you want
and if it doesn't work put the original back. Any changes to your
structure made before you restore it would be lost.

Or you can just make it inaccessible by renaming it to say
HIERARCHPM.SAV and let it rebuild and see what happens when you
restart Pegasus.

The file offers a convienience rather than a necessity and no emails
are affected by letting it rebuild.
--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Steve Hayes
2019-07-14 11:29:36 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
Thanks, but the existing ones are still scattered throughout the file
-- can I delete them without delting the originals?
If you take a copy of the HIERARCH.PM then you can try what you want
and if it doesn't work put the original back. Any changes to your
structure made before you restore it would be lost.
Or you can just make it inaccessible by renaming it to say
HIERARCHPM.SAV and let it rebuild and see what happens when you
restart Pegasus.
The file offers a convienience rather than a necessity and no emails
are affected by letting it rebuild.
OK, I've discovered that deleting those links doesn't delete the
original messages, though it apparently can be set to do so if you
wish.
http://khanya.wordpress.com
Evertjan.
2019-07-14 21:36:45 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
Thanks, but the existing ones are still scattered throughout the file
-- can I delete them without delting the originals?
If you take a copy of the HIERARCH.PM then you can try what you want
and if it doesn't work put the original back. Any changes to your
structure made before you restore it would be lost.
Or you can just make it inaccessible by renaming it to say
HIERARCHPM.SAV and let it rebuild and see what happens when you
restart Pegasus.
The file offers a convienience rather than a necessity and no emails
are affected by letting it rebuild.
OK, I've discovered that deleting those links doesn't delete the
original messages, though it apparently can be set to do so if you
wish.
What links are you telking about?
This is not about links, is it?
--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
Steve Hayes
2019-07-15 04:02:59 UTC
On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 23:36:45 +0200, "Evertjan."
Post by Evertjan.
Post by Steve Hayes
Thanks, but the existing ones are still scattered throughout the file
-- can I delete them without delting the originals?
If you take a copy of the HIERARCH.PM then you can try what you want
and if it doesn't work put the original back. Any changes to your
structure made before you restore it would be lost.
Or you can just make it inaccessible by renaming it to say
HIERARCHPM.SAV and let it rebuild and see what happens when you
restart Pegasus.
The file offers a convienience rather than a necessity and no emails
are affected by letting it rebuild.
OK, I've discovered that deleting those links doesn't delete the
original messages, though it apparently can be set to do so if you
wish.
What links are you telking about?
This is not about links, is it?
The links to messages found in previous searches.

I was asking whether deleting the links deleted the messages found,
and apparently it does not, though there is an option to set it to do
so,
http://khanya.wordpress.com
Evertjan.
2019-07-15 10:07:06 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by Evertjan.
Post by Steve Hayes
OK, I've discovered that deleting those links doesn't delete the
original messages, though it apparently can be set to do so if you
wish.
What links are you telking about?
This is not about links, is it?
The links to messages found in previous searches.
I was asking whether deleting the links deleted the messages found,
and apparently it does not, though there is an option to set it to do
so,
The deletion of a found seach item seems NOT to result in a deletion of the
original email, however you can MOVE such item to the 'Deleted messages'
folder, effectively having the same result.

I would suggest you delete the [whole] search pseudo-folder,
and preferably do so automachically on program close.

In older versions of PM, sometimes some searches appeared scattered in the
list window, meaning outside the 'recent search results', and you had to
delete them [those pseudo-folders] by hand. That bug seems to have been
tackled.
--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.