IPv6
Michael Gallagher
2015-01-31 17:01:53 UTC
This shouldn't be a problem, but afgter my struggles setting up Skype,
I thought it was worth asking: Pegasus can support IPv6, right?

It shouldn't matter because Pegasus talks to the mail servers, so what
matters is if they support it. But with one program potentially
useless in the long run, I wanted to make sure it doesn't happen to
another one.
David H. Lipman
2015-02-02 20:14:27 UTC
Post by Michael Gallagher
This shouldn't be a problem, but afgter my struggles setting up Skype,
I thought it was worth asking: Pegasus can support IPv6, right?
It shouldn't matter because Pegasus talks to the mail servers, so what
matters is if they support it. But with one program potentially
useless in the long run, I wanted to make sure it doesn't happen to
another one.
It shouldn't have to.

P-Mail uses WINSOCK and the OS does the networking. All P-Mail cares about
is; the name of the host, TCP port used and whether the email server
requires SSL.
--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
Eric Demeester
2015-02-02 20:53:44 UTC
Hello,

David H. Lipman (Mon, 2 Feb 2015 15:14:27 -0500 -
Post by David H. Lipman
Post by Michael Gallagher
This shouldn't be a problem, but afgter my struggles setting up Skype,
I thought it was worth asking: Pegasus can support IPv6, right?
P-Mail uses WINSOCK and the OS does the networking. All P-Mail cares about
is; the name of the host, TCP port used and whether the email server
requires SSL.
I agree with you, David. Pegasus uses the network to reach mail servers,
the way it does is the OS and the used networking protocol job, not
Pegasus's. Same thing for Mercury or any other software who needs
networks connection to run.

(sorry for my poor english, I'm French :)
Michael Gallagher
2015-02-03 00:55:22 UTC
Post by David H. Lipman
Post by Michael Gallagher
This shouldn't be a problem, but afgter my struggles setting up Skype,
I thought it was worth asking: Pegasus can support IPv6, right?
P-Mail uses WINSOCK and the OS does the networking. All P-Mail cares about
is; the name of the host, TCP port used and whether the email server
requires SSL.
I agree with you, David. Pegasus uses the network to reach mail servers,
the way it does is the OS and the used networking protocol job, not
Pegasus's. Same thing for Mercury or any other software who needs
networks connection to run.
(sorry for my poor english, I'm French :)
Your english is much better than my French. :) (Yes, I did take
French in High School, but the most I have out of it is ow to read
highway signs in Quebec.) Thanks, Dave and Eric. That's a load ff my
mind.
Michael Gallagher
2015-10-10 16:14:13 UTC
Post by David H. Lipman
Post by Michael Gallagher
This shouldn't be a problem, but afgter my struggles setting up Skype,
I thought it was worth asking: Pegasus can support IPv6, right?
P-Mail uses WINSOCK and the OS does the networking. All P-Mail cares about
is; the name of the host, TCP port used and whether the email server
requires SSL.
I agree with you, David. Pegasus uses the network to reach mail servers,
the way it does is the OS and the used networking protocol job, not
Pegasus's. Same thing for Mercury or any other software who needs
networks connection to run.
(sorry for my poor english, I'm French :)
...and 8 months later, he came back to revisit the issue.

I recently raised the question the same question about Forte Agent
(which I am using right now) and the initial answer was it sues
Winsock -- don't worry about it. But then it was pointed out that
winsock returns an IP address to Agent, and Agent uses that address to
access the news server. So if PMail uses winsock, but what comes back
from winsock is the IP addresses of the servers, can it handle a dual
stack situation, let alone an IPV6 only world?

Now, my ISP is IPV4 only, and it will probably be a long time before
Yahoo has only IPV6 mail servers. But I thought it would be wise to
double check to make sure we're all on the same page. Because now,
I'm not so sure.
David H. Lipman
2015-10-11 15:06:30 UTC
Post by David H. Lipman
Post by Michael Gallagher
[...]
You are making a mountain from a mole hill.

There is nothing for you to worry about.
Michael Gallagher
2015-10-11 16:07:46 UTC
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 11:06:30 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
Post by David H. Lipman
You are making a mountain from a mole hill.
There is nothing for you to worry about.
Ok.